Hakuba Happo Snow Safety
Hakuba Happo-one Ski Resort Terms and Conditions of Use
・Contract for Lift and Mountain Access, Terms and Conditions of Use
Hakuba Valley Snow Resort Boundary Information
HAKUBAVALLEY ski resorts have introduced an integrated boundary sign poles, markings and slope signage for your safety.
All guests who enjoy snow sports in our resorts, please pay close attention to the resort map, signs, markings, and boundary poles in all areas.
Yellow and Black colored boundary sign poles:
Yellow and Black colored sign poles (shown in Picture 1) mark the ski area boundary beyond these markings is outside the controlled area. Beyond the boundary is recognized as an uncontrolled area and is subjected to numerous risk factors with severe consequences. Please be aware of the danger and always stay inside the boundary.
For those who exit the resort for hiking or backcountry Snowsports, you will be required to go through the designated resort exit gate and prohibited to exit from other areas. Ensure you have all the appropriate safety equipment and knowledge or are in expert company to minimize the risks in the backcountry.
In the case of bad weather conditions, we strongly recommend not exiting the resort into the alpine area (especially Hakuba Goryu) due to increased risks.
If there are areas of the resort that are closed, please refrain from entering as these areas have been deemed unsafe for specific reasons. Only enter these areas if the gates are open and restrictions and signage have been removed by Patrol. If you require any further information, please ask the Ski Patrol.
Yellow top colored sign poles:
Indicate "no-ski zones" and "closed zones" inside the ski resort management area.
As shown in the pictures below these yellow top colored sign poles mark restricted areas inside the ski resort. It is prohibited to ski or snowboard in these areas when closed by Patrol for any reason.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in adhering to the guidelines put in place for the enjoyment and safety of all guests.
HAKUBA VALLEY Safety Tips Safety Precautions
- please enjoy skiing and backcountry safely -
While skiing please do not hold a camera, smartphone, or other photographic equipment in your hand.
For more information
Avalanche Management and Risk Assessment
Hakuba Happo-one Ski Resort conducts daily avalanche assessment in the morning and throughout the day. When there is a risk of an avalanche occurring in the ski area, Happo Ski Patrol will ski cut certain areas and use explosives to artificially trigger the avalanche.
Until the safety of the slope and off-piste areas have been risk assessed and confirmed, the lift operations and slopes will remain closed. Please note that the opening times may be later than scheduled.
In the event that the risk of avalanche increases during the day due to heavy snowfall, strong winds, rain, warm temperatures and other weather conditions, Happo Ski Patrol avalanche control operations may be conducted at any time to ensure the safety of our guests.
If explosives are to be used, Patrollers with the required qualifications will work carefully and securely based on experience, knowledge and judgment. Please be aware that loud explosive noises will be heard when explosives have been ignited or on a warm or clear day, the noise could be even louder than expected. Please be understanding of this situation and thank you for your cooperation.
- SNOW RESORT PROHIBITED AREAS: As mentioned on the map, DO NOT ski or ride in the prohibited terrain in the resort and the area outside a boundary line. Please do ask Ski Patrol or Authorized Personnel if it is not clear.
- FREERIDING AREA “OMUSUBI”: OMUSUBI freeride area is limited to advanced and expert riders. Skiing/riding is permitted in this area only when the gate is open.
- SEARCH and RESCUE FEES: If we support search and rescue operation outside the resort area, we shall request the payment of relevant expenses. This will also be adapted to an operation in the prohibited terrain in the resort.
- GUESTS DUTIES and OBLIGATIONS: For your safety, we kindly request all guests to observe and follow any instructions from the resort management and the Ski Patrol. Please follow and practice the Hakuba Valley Safety Tips as part of your responsibility when visiting our resort.
- MOUNTAIN CLIMBMING and BACK COUNTRY SKIING: Please follow the relevant procedures before undertaking a mountain climbing and Backcounty skiing. Fill in and submit notification form registered with police. Trailheads are installed trailhwads are mark “G”.
- DRONES are prohibited unless the operator obtains consent from the Happo-One snow resort management.
- REFUSAL TO ENTER: Refusal to abide by this agreement will immediately in cancellation or refusal to enter the resort. Any fees will not be refunded regardless of the reason.
There are inherent dangers in snow sports, such as falls, collisions, poor weather conditions, and poor visibility. Please be aware of these dangers and enjoy your stay. The safety management of the snow resort corresponds to the Snow Sports Safety Standards established by the Japan Association of Skiing Safety(JASS)